DIY Drawer Bookshelf

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Here is one Pinterest project I actually completed!  We were going to trash Sisi's massive damaged dresser, but then I saw this project online and thought it'd be perfect to store Sisi's books and toys.

One of my resolutions is to be more handy around the house.  I am slowly progressing on this goal.  For example, this project required that I prime and paint, use a power drill to remove hardware, and a socket wrench to insert wood screws.  Before this project, I didn't even know what a socket wrench was.




Basically, here's how I did it:

  •  I removed the old hardware
  •  primed and painted the drawers pure white 
  • glued cute wallpaper in as a backing (I originally used spray glue to attach the wallpaper, but it wasn't adhering well, so I squeezed E-6000 onto the paper instead.)  
  • stacked the drawers in a way that made sense and seemed sturdy
  • screwed them together using a socket wrench (power drill was just too big to maneuver on this project)
  • attached new knobs to the exposed drawers
It's not perfect.  It's slightly wobbly because the drawers were wonky in the first place.  I didn't use spackle to fill in the drill holes or anything.  My wallpaper job is not totally perfect, either. But who cares?  That's the thing about DIY home projects- if you expect perfection, you'll be too afraid to just dig right in and get started.  I really don't mind if my homemade furniture looks a little homemade, and neither does Sisi!  I'm just proud that we were able to upcycle something that would have gone to the landfill.  

1 comments:

Dwayne Johnston March 5, 2014 at 5:19 AM  

Wow, your bookshelf looks amazing! You put a lot of hard work into it and it was worth of every minute of it. It looks perfect.
Best top notch Orange County NY maid service

Post a Comment