Bye Bye Onesies!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

There comes a time in every baby's life when onesies become irrelevant.  Sisi still wears them from time to time, but I know the onesie phase is quickly coming to an end. I found this wonderfully simply tutorial on turning onesies into bubble dresses/tunics from my favorite sewing blog, Make It and Love It.

You basically cut the bottom off the onesie, make a bubble skirt, gather it using a basting stitch, and then sew it to the onesie.  For all the details and step by step pictures, check out the Make It Love It post. 

 I was ambitious and cut up 3 old onesies hoping to make 3 dresses, but only had the energy  to do one. I used an unwearable t-shirt of Joe's (paleo diet = grease stains galore!) for the bubble part.





Since I hate to measure or use straight edges, I just eyeballed everything and went scissor happy.  It turned out wearable, but hilariously uneven (especially when she turns around!)  Someday I will invest in a nice cutting mat and rotary cutter. For now, I'll just pretend it's from Naartjie, that crazy kids store with all the assymmetrical hemlines. 


Bonus points for adding a cute flower out of the leftover t-shirt material.

 Machine sewing is still really stressful for me, and I had to use the seam ripper and redo the whole thing once.  But even so, I was able to complete this project AND blog it in a few hours. Sure, I could have bought one at Target for 8.00, but then I wouldn't have learned about basting stitches or helped save the planet by upcycling old greasy t-shirts. :)

EDIT:  My  friend came over when Sisi was wearing this last night, and she LOL'ed over my crazy hemline, so don't think I'm just being modest on this blog!  I figure babies can pull anything off, but it's not so cute when teenagers are forced to wear wonky homemade dresses made by their moms.  I have plenty of years to get this sewing thing down :)

2 comments:

Sarah June 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM  

You rock. These are so awesome!!!

- Sarah
agirlintransit.blogspot.com

Delia June 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM  

How resourceful!! I am going to try that out at least once!

Post a Comment