Presentable

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My high school reunion is at the end of the month.  Yes, I'm going.  I was part of that "high on school spirit" crowd, and they'd be upset if I didn't go!  Like anyone preparing for the big reunion, I took a long look in the mirror and did a little "hmphh".  What would my classmates think of me now?

In high school, I was very concerned with my physical appearance, to an unhealthy degree.  I didn't have time to sleep, but I did have time to roll my hair in paper towels each night for that perfect spiral curl.  I don't think I even owned a pair of flat shoes because I felt so short and stout. No matter how much I dieted, or planned out the perfect outfits, I was still insecure about my looks.

2001, when the cool hair style was 1/3 curled, 1/3 straight, and 1/3 crimped.  Gee thanks, Britney! 

Oh how I wish I could tell my little high school self to be content!  Had I known I was in my "prime", maybe I wouldn't have complained so much about my "fat knees" and my "short legs" and my "wide nose".  What I wouldn't give to have that wrinkle-less skin or that METABOLISM back! 

It all went downhill after high school, and I blame 3 things:  1) Attending Berkeley, a school where pajamas are perfectly acceptable attire, 2) zero peer pressure from my sweet husband, who thinks I look beautiful no matter what, and 3) I worked through a lot of my perfectionism issues, which is a good thing!

Although I'm so relieved to be free from that obsession, I do want to make sure I look presentable on a daily basis.  I had a baby 6 months ago, which means no one can expect me to have it all together.  But it also means enough time has gone by that I should look presentable. So I think it's time to set some very attainable ground rules.  Here they are in order of importance.

1.  Wear actual clothes.  Not pajamas or sweat pants.  A real outfit.  It needn't be fancy- a sundress or a  tank and jeans will work.  I find that wearing something embarrassing to bed motivates me to get dressed first thing in the morning, since I wouldn't want the mailman to see me in a nightgown or giant tie dyed t-shirt.

2.  Wear makeup on days I leave the house.  Just some powder foundation, lip gloss and curling my eyelashes would be a big improvement.  Some red lipstick if I'm feeling fierce :)

Laura Geller's Balance-n-Brighten baked foundation is amazing for lazy people like me.


3.  Basic hygiene.   Clean shaven, heels pumiced, toe nail polish unchipped, nails trimmed, smelling good.

4.  No more librarian buns. Sisi loves to pull my long hair, so I'm in the habit of putting it in a super dorky bun every single day.  I like the simple hairstyles here, especially twisting bangs to the side or doing a loose fishtail braid.



5.  Accessorize!  Punch up basic outfits with cute earrings (I'm stocking up on studs as baby likes to pull my danglies) or a fun necklace.
Betsey Johnson studs.

6.  Wear my corset.  I have minor diastasis recti from the pregnancy, made worse by all the bending and baby rocking.  Thanks to breastfeeding and being too depressed to eat, I was able to shed the baby weight in a month.  But my belly still looks about 4-5 months pregnant.  I purchased the squeem corset to help tighten the muscles, and now I just need to wear it!  It's annoying to deal with during the day, but at night (when it's most beneficial) I fall asleep and don't even notice it.

Also, please help!  What do you wear to a reunion at 12 noon at a sports bar? 

5 comments:

Rachel August 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM  

For the record, I think you're even more gorgeous now than you were in high school! We were babies then.

Annnnd ... the reunion is at noon?! Also, I need to figure out how to sign up, despite not being on facebook. Whoops.

Anonymous,  August 11, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

I think the reunion is at 9pm-12am. Not noon. Whatever you wear you are going to look great in because you are a hot momma! And Rachel's right, we were babies then!

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn August 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM  

oh, wow! i must have misread the invite! thanks mish :)

Lacey August 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

Hahaha, imagine spending all that time picking out the perfect 12 noon outfit, and turning up only to discover it's that night and you have nothing suitable to wear ;-)

I hear you on the 'post baby belly' syndrome. I know things are a ton better than what they were, but there are days where I get quite depressed -- will that extra bulge ever go away? And how do I learn to accept it if not?

I find dresses are a great way to hide the tummy ..... and if you're not taking Sisi, it's a nice opportunity to wear something not BF-ing friendly!! And, if you're going to wear heels, wear comfortable ones. We're too mature now to convince ourselves that the pain is worth it. You always enjoy yourself more when you're not thinking about aching feet :-)

Sarah August 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

How funny, I totally recognize a decent amount of people in that pic. I worked with one of them when I worked at Gloria Jeans. I was totally in my silly "christian" ska/punk faze in high school. Lots of converse shoes.

Wow, if you pull off all those goals you are going to be a super hot momma that I wish I could be. I totally rock the pj's until I have to leave the house. Maybe when Samantha's older and I need to teach her to get dressed in the morning I'll crack down, but I'm not ready yet haha.

Hmm well since your reunion is in the evening it's a little easier. A dress will always pass the test, but sometimes i"m just so not in the mood to wear a dress. I like wearing nice dark jeans that flare with some awesome heels with a top that is tight around the bust, but has a flattering bell shape flare as it goes down the waist. You should top it off with some lovely long pearls and one of your amazing hair bands.

Haha too detailed? Sorry, it's fun to play dress up.

Have fun. I'm looking forward to mine pretty soon too.

- Sarah
http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

Post a Comment