Love It, Leave It

Monday, April 18, 2011

(First of all, a little update:  I really am starting to love mommyhood.  People were so right, it does get easier and it even starts to feel normal.  All the phases that seem like they will last forever do pass.  For example, the following phases- 10 bibs a day, 10 poops a day, grunting 24/7, peeing on me as soon as I remove the diaper, feeding every hour, etc. etc. etc. have all passed. Even the catnap phase that drove me to tears is starting to pass.  I feel bad for labeling Siena a "bad sleeper" initially and getting so frustrated with her; Siena is quickly becoming a darn good sleeper! I will have to do a whole separate post on all the fascinating things I've learned about infant sleep.  Well, it's fascinating to me anyway...)

For all my friends and readers who are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant soon, here is my list of favorite baby products!

LOVE IT!  Stuff I love and use almost everyday:

  • Nosefrida Snotsucker- makes sucking out snot almost enjoyable.
  • Gripe water- not crazy about the fructose, but it does seem to calm Siena down when she's gassy, and helps with the hiccups she gets after almost every feeding.  Maybe it just calms her down b/c it tastes like candy. Anyway, I'm using less and less and hope to wean her off it soon.
  • Moby Wrap- I have 4 carriers, and this is the one I use the most.  Definitely takes some getting used to, but Siena is usually happy to snuggle up to me in this.
  • Lamaze Jacques the Peacock toy- there is a reason why this toy gets 5 stars on amazon.  One of the first toys Siena showed any interest in. 
  • Ikea Korall baby fish mobile- this makes Siena do the happy dance every time she gets a diaper change.  Discontinued though, despite the fact that everyone who has it LOVES it.
  • Seventh Generation diapers- pricey, but eco-friendly and really sturdy
  • Costco baby wipes- perfect texture, wetness, and fragrance free
  • Moses basket- we ordered this one off amazon after we realized that we needed a safe place to set Siena down while we did stuff around the house.  She liked it much better than her bassinet, so we started having her sleep in it at night. We could wedge a pillow underneath it to prop up one side, which has helped Siena's mild reflux. Now it sits in her crib so she can still have the coziness of being more confined, but get used to waking up in her crib. Our big baby has almost outgrown it at 3 months, but it's been a lifesaver. 
  • N.A.P.S. 90 Minute Sleep Solution book- seemed a little gimmicky at first, but I'm a total believer!!  I may have to review this book in a separate post since it made things MUCH worse before it made things MUCH better. Let me say, just as the book describes, Siena usually falls asleep 90 minutes from her last waking.  Like 90 minutes on the dot. Ask me to show you her sleep charts as proof. Now that I know her natural sleep rhythm, I spend about 5-10 minutes soothing her to sleep for each nap and bedtime, as opposed to 40+ minutes.  People think I'm totally loony tunes for putting her to sleep so often and so early, but Siena is much happier and more well-rested because of this book (combined with bits and pieces of other books I've read.) And that notorious "witching hour" that most babies and parents endure after about 6pm?  All but disappeared.  Hallelujah!
  • California Baby products- the calendula cream helps clear up any mystery bumps and rashes, and the body wash is so gentle and smells delish.
  • Gold Bond baby powder- so old school, but it works!  Easier to apply than diaper creams, in my opinion.
  • Trixie tracker- I purchased a smart phone just so I could use this.  It's a super handy application to help you track sleep, nursing, diapers, bottles, and solids.  It will show you charts, averages, probabilities, and scatterplots of your babies eating and sleeping patterns. The inner Type A nerd in me likes this a lot!  Once again, many people roll their eyes as they see me track every nap and nursing session down to the minute, but it's really allowed me to get to know my baby's rhythms, and to learn to read her better.  It is so satisfying to see routines forming, without any real help from me (I just try to follow Siena's lead.)
  • Miracle Blanket- like a little baby straight jacket, the only swaddle that Siena can't bust out of (we do have to reinforce it with duct tape, which looks so strange)
  • Air purifier- 3 birds with one stone:  provides white noise, cleans the air, and works as a fan (reducing the risk of SIDS)
  • Humidifier- as soon as we started using this, Siena stopped waking at night.  Coincidence?  Maybe. 
  • Graco Snugride infant car seat- no complaints at all, and the price was right.  
  • Trumpette shoe socks- I just can't resist them!  I bought the ones that look like little converse. Never mind that each pair costs twice as much as adult socks. 
  • Nursing tanks from Target- affordable and convenient. 
  • Zip up onesie pajamas- especially the terry cloth ones. 
Leave it!  Stuff I rarely use or don't use anymore:
  • Baby swing- Siena just never took to it, despite my efforts.
  • Stroller- I'm sure this will come in handy as Siena gets heavier, but for now, wearing her around town is so much easier.  On walks, I kept running over my dogs' paws with the stroller. 
  • Electric breast pump- I used it maybe 3 times. I actually use a cheap manual pump instead.  I can get just as much milk just as quickly, and don't have to plug anything in.  Plus, it's silent and I can pump in bed without waking Joe.
  • My Brest Friend pillow- I did use this for the first month when Siena was so small and awkward to hold, but it quickly became unnecessary. 
  • Pacifiers- I bought like 5 different kinds, hoping Siena might take to them. She did for one random week, now she spits them clear across the room.  Oh well, one less habit I'll need to break.  
  • Puj Tub- I was a big fan at first, but Siena's now too big for it and I wish I had just bought a regular infant tub.  
  • Baby Monitor:  we actually never got around to buying one, and I'm grateful for it.  Any time Siena cries, shouts or babbles, it echoes down the hallway straight into our bedroom, but we don't hear all the little moans and groans babies make when they sleep. 
How about you?  What are your love it, leave its?  

    1 comments:

    Lacey April 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM  

    Oh so fun to read! I agree with so many of the things you said (although Australian brands are a little different) of course. I used an iPhone app to track A's rhythms too, and it was so helpful in figuring out what the little one was actually doing. And I agree about the stroller thing -- ours isn't getting as much use as I thought it would, which is frustrating considering it was one of our most expensive baby purchases.

    SO glad things are settling down for you! That's the best news I'm going to hear all day. xox

    Post a Comment